All speech, written or spoken, is a dead language, until it finds a willing and prepared hearer." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, February 3, 2012

Hanson - Weird



I remember when I first heard of this song, it was the end credits to the 1997 movie "The Borrowers" It have people like John Goodman, Tom Felton, and many others. I thought the movie was comedic and something that people who are unique can relate to. The song would play at the end of the movie, and I would rewind it over and over, because something about the lyrics is so beautiful and sad because it is very true. I heard them singing it when they were older, I think it sounded way better when they were younger, only because from speaking from a young person's point of view, it would make sense because a lot of teens build up low self-esteem and something like this would definitely be worth listening to.

"Weird"

Isn't it weird? Isn't it strange?
Even though we're just two strangers on this runaway train
We're both trying to find a place in the sun
We've lived in the shadows, but doesn't everyone
Isn't it strange how we all feel a little bit weird sometimes
Isn't it hard. Standing in the rain.
You're on the verge of going crazy and your heart's in pain
No one can hear though you're screaming so loud
You feel all alone in a faceless crowd
Isn't it strange how we all get a little bit weird sometimes?
Sitting on the side waiting for a sign, hoping that my luck will change.
Reaching for a hand that can understand, someone who feels the same.
When you live in a cookie cutter world being different is a sin.
So you don't stand out. But you don't fit in. Weird.
Sitting on the side waiting for a sign, hoping that my luck will change.
Reaching for a hand that can understand, someone who feels the same.
When you live in a cookie cutter world if you're different you can't win.
So you don't stand out but you don't fit in. Weird.
Isn't it strange how we all feel a little bit weird
Strange, how we all get a little bit...
Strange, 'cause we're all just a little bit weird sometimes.

It was also co-written by Desmond Child which is another popular figure in the music world. The song made wonder have the Hanson Brothers plus Desmond Child ever felt that way. I know the majority would. At first I thought it was a female that was singing it but when I learned more about Hanson on "100 Greatest One Hit Wonders", I heard of their other song "Mmm Bop" as popular and successful it was, I thought "Weird" would have hit better because, it's a song that anyone can really relate to, I didn't see where it hit anywhere but the UK. Sweden, and Australia. I'm not knocking off the success of "Mmm Bop" I was just making a point that "Weird" sounds a bit better for it to hit higher and receive more praises than it did.

"Weird" did well in the UK, peaking at #19 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming their fourth Top 20 hit there. It also did well on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart, charting at #12. In Sweden the song peaked at #21. (wikipedia)

I personally think this song is overlooked, meaning that they really didn't give it much of a chance, It felt like a Number one song to me. They did have other few songs that gotten better chart positions in different areas, but I believe this one should have gotten a better chart topping position than it did. I was in shocked when I read about it was in the Top 20, I would think more of Top 10 at least! It shocked me when it was charted this way. The music video could have been better, but I did like it. The song was the band's 3rd album single from Middle of Nowhere.

"The version of the track used in the video differed slightly from the album cut. The video version contained extra backing vocals from Isaac and Zac Hanson and contained a different intro." (wikipedia) On a brief note, there's another version, it's the rare demo one, it's on youTube, I prefer the album version. For it to be a pop song, it gives a different tone of pop, I think in terms of thinking twice when bullying others. I too, can definitely relate to the song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment