All speech, written or spoken, is a dead language, until it finds a willing and prepared hearer." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunday, November 9, 2014

To Resume on Blogging: Maleficent is the focus on discussion!

Hey all! This is Artistic Noir or Jaleen81 finally back (well somewhat lol) I've been watching some good movies lately (ones that aren't on my list to discuss) and I just had to talk about this one in particular so here goes!

Maleficent is a movie that was released in the movies earlier this year; I was given the privilege by one of my neighbors to have a look on this movie. Part of me low-key wanted to see it, but I was like "oh dear another remake -_-" but this actually blew me away completely. Reason for that is one I would have never guessed a character such is strong as she is would be a flightless fairy. We are in the era where the antagonists are the protagonists and vice versa. I always believed that not all villains are evil because they are; no, there had to be a huge drive to become evil. I used to watch the cartoon Disney movie called Sleeping Beauty and always believe the women were damsels in distress that needed a quote-on-quote prince charming, but after a while, it becomes a cliche that is totally overrated. The Maleficent in the cartoon isn't the exact same as in this recent movie. You'd think she's a sorceress with a rod and a companion crow aiding her every whim. And actually from the theatrical trailers, I was thinking that, but when seeing it, I actually wished I saw in theaters. The movie also have good funny moments too!

All she wanted was to be loved and help others, but someone she loved betrayed her and took her wings just to get fame and fortune! It have this Delilah and Samson complex where using someone to gain something and becomes weak, but she only became weak when the iron is around her. Which also reminded me of how Superman was weak around Krytonite. The man did have love for her otherwise, he'd kill her, but also it would have defeated the purpose unless she was reborn again and become nothing of pure evil as a new being. I was actually thinking that on the count she would manipulate Aurora, but she was trying to save her from a curse that was unchangeable. The prince she once knew was no more;  you'd kind of understand that he wanted to be rich and not poor, but to stoop this low for some riches...bad move! Then he uses the wings as some kind of trophy and practically was obsessed over the fairy and forgotten all the reality in the world. His wife was dying; didn't care or when his daughter the princess came, he treated her as if she was an object. Nothing more. I think he regretted on what he did to get to where he was and therefore, killed him and a kingdom. I love the continuity of the symbolism: of the simplest objects and moments that led up to the climax. What really impressed me on top of it all, was when the prince wasn't Aurora's true love. I was so glad they finally brought out a strong message after so long! I was thinking since the bird was turned into a man and he did aided the three fairies that tried to keep her until her 16th birthday, he would be the true love, but not at all. It was the main character all along, but it made sense. She realizes that it wasn't the princess' fault that her wings were taken from her, it was the love that she thought would be with her. I even started to tear up and I gotta say if that happens, that means that really made me want to watch the movie more because it was that good. It appealed to my emotions greatly. I also felt some of the fairy forest like background kind of reminded me of Avatar (not the Last Airbender lol) movie. Whoever did the costumes, they were on the T with that one and really paid attention over detail. It's interesting that she was only temporarily evil even with a name with (Mal) which in Latin is bad. She should have been called (Ben)eficent but I guess we all have to stick to what we know and remember as a child right?
Anyway, I'd totally give this a 10/10 on my scale of movies! I might watch it again after blogging. I didn't expect the crow being turned into a lot things because of Maleficent. Great twist! I also love how this and Once Up a Time (Television Series) is revealing a lot about these so called royal families not being so good! Angelina Jolie was perfect for the role as the protagonist then antagonist and then protagonist again female character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment